I developed this salad specifically to accompany chilli con carne – for two easy, different approaches to making chilli con carne, go to this post .
I added pecans into this salad because I think those particular nuts, as well as walnuts, have an almost ‘meaty’ taste, as does the earthy, musty Indonesian long pepper which I use so much.
Chilli con carne goes particularly well with a tomato salsa (this post sets out that recipe), but instead of serving the salsa separately, you could combine it in with this salad. If you decide to do that simply add in those ingredients – tomatoes, mint, and either a chopped shallot, or probably better, thinly sliced spring onion.
Recipe for a nutty avocado and raw cabbage salad
For six to eight
- 1 small cabbage
- 3 ripe avocadoes
- 100g/4 oz pecans or walnuts –
- 6 tbsps walnut oil
- Juice and zest of one lime
- 1 tsp smoked salt
- 10 grinds Indonesian long pepper
- Shred the cabbage and start stir frying it in a little of the walnut oil in a wok
- Chop the nuts and add into the wok – keep stirring while you….
- Peel and slice the avocadoes
- Make the dressing
- Add the avocadoes to the wok and warm through gently
- Put the contents of the wok into a wooden salad bowl and dress