Regular readers of Saucy Dressings will know that I recently visited Brazil and that I became quite a fan of their local hooch – a spirit made out of sugar cane known as cachaça. That’s used in one of my favourite cocktails, the Caipirinha, which mixes the spirit with lime juice.
I’m also an all-year fan of elderflower, and elderflower cordial, and another of my favourite cocktails is a martini which incorporates elderflower.
So I had the idea of combining the best of both. Of course Brazil (well most of it anyway) is in the southern hemisphere so I also added in some Northern European apple flavours and the results were successful.
Here’s what to do:
Recipe for summery Brazilian cocktail
For one hard-headed person
- 90ml/6 tbsps cachaça/– good quality but unaged cachaça
- 15ml/1 tbsp elderflower cordial – go to this post for how to make this
- 15ml/1 tbsp lime juice – juice of ½ lime
- 60ml/4 tbsp/¼ cup dry cider (Merrydown is good)
- Slice of apple
- Sprig of mint
- Mix all the liquids in a cocktail shaker and pour into a cocktail glass with a couple of cubes of ice.
- Garnish with the apple slice and the mint. You could also add some lime zest.