You’d be surprised how well mozzarella goes with mustard!
Serve with good ham (I like Gran Biscotto), and lots of crusty bread to soak up the juices – perfect lunch.
Recipe for Mediterranean carrots with mozzarella and mustard
- About four large carrots
- 125g/5 oz mozzarella – drained weight
- Some fifteen or so basil leaves
- Olive oil for frying and the dressing
- Walnut or two of butter
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- 1 tsp bitter honey – ideally chestnut
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp thick balsamic vinegar, or pomegranate molasses
- A few bay leaves, a couple of sprigs each of thyme and rosemary
Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Take the mozzarella out of the fridge and warm a deepish serving platter
- Top and tail the carrots and cut them longways into three or four
- Fry gently for about a quarter of an hour in a mix of butter and a little olive oil
- Meanwhile, crush the garlic with a teaspoon of the smoked salt – add to the carrots
- Add the herbs, minus the basil, to the carrots
- Grind the pepper generously over the lot
- Tear off a large piece of foil – big enough to wrap the carrots
- Transfer the carrots to the foil, wrap loosely, put on a flat baking tray and put in the oven for 15-20 minutes – until just cooked through but still al dente.
- Meanwhile make the dressing with 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp thick balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp bitter honey (ideally chestnut), 1 tsp grainy mustard, salt and pepper
- Undo the parcel of carrots loosely, and take out the herbs.
- Transfer to the warmed serving dish. Tear over the mozzarella and the basil. Dress and serve.