These carrots go particularly well with duck, and they are very simple to make. The method below is dead simple.
If you want something a little richer glaze your carrots as the French-Canadian chef, Madame Benoit, suggests by adding a couple of teaspoons each of lemon juice and cider vinegar, and adding a teaspoon of flour. Add this to the butter when you fry the carrots.
Recipe for carrots cooked in blood orange juice
- 450g/1 lb carrots
- butter for frying
- 120ml/½ cup blood orange juice (or juice and zest of an orange)
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- 1 tsp smoked salt
- salt and pepper
- scrape the carrots without too much care using a potato peeler – make sure they are clean. Cut off the stem at the top, get rid of any flayling roots.
- slice them diagonally or into fat chips
- fry them in the butter in a saucepan for three or four minutes, stirring
- add the rest of the ingredients, bring to the boil, and simmer for ten minutes or until they are cooked