Decades ago we visited the Lake Palace hotel in Udaipur and it lived up to every expectation… I could imagine myself a maharani looking serenely out over the lake and into the misty, mountainous, distance.
This dish is a rich white dish to match the gleaming whiteness of the hotel where it’s served (this recipe is inspired by one published by the chef Ramesh Dogra) – the chicken is enveloped in cream, milk, yoghurt and nuts.
Recipe for Indian creamy chicken with almonds, cashews, coriander and cinnamon
- 1400g/3 lbs mini chicken fillets (or use chicken breasts but slice smaller)
- 150g/5 oz butter
- 10-20g/½-1 oz cinnamon sticks – a pack or jar (make sure it’s cinnamon, not cassia)
- 1½ tsp cumin seeds
- 24 green cardamom pods, crushed, husks removed – just use the seeds.
- 3 banana shallots – peeled and finely chopped
- 4 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed with 2 tsp smoked salt
- 2 tsp ground fresh ginger
- 100g/¾cup ground almonds
- 3 tbsp yoghurt
- 480ml/2 cups of milk – you might need more – Joanne, please make a note!
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 150g/5 oz cashew nuts, roughly chopped and dry fried
- Small bunch of coriander, chopped
- Poach the chicken, covered in foil, gently in the milk for about five minutes.
- Heat the butter in a wok and add the cinnamon, cumin seeds and cardamom seeds – fry until the cumin seeds begin to crackle.
- Add the shallot, and fry gently another five minutes. Add the ginger and the garlic. Fry another couple of minutes.
- Add the yoghurt, cream, and the poached chicken with all its liquid.
- Serve, garnished with coriander and cashews.