This is a gentle version of a southern Indian dish. Slightly-more-interesting-than-normal beans without overpowering a dish, or the wine you are enjoying.
- 200g/7 oz trimmed green beans, cut in half
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- About ten dried curry leaves (or fresh ones)
- 1 banana shallot – peeled and chopped
- Juice and zest of half a lemon
- 1 tsp smoked salt
- 10 Sichuan peppercorns
- 2 generous tbsps desiccated coconut
- Crush the mustard seeds and the peppercorns very roughly in a pestle and mortar, and then fry in the rapeseed oil in a wok which has a lid.
- Crumble the curry leaves in, and add the shallot.
- When the shallot has turned translucent add the green beans, cover and cook for about another ten minutes.
- Take the zest off the lemon
- Add the coconut, lemon juice and salt and fry for a couple more minutes
- Serve garnished with the lemon zest