These German meatballs are very easy to make, and they are popular with all my family.
Serve them with a green salad dressed with a German salad dressing, or white cabbage with a creamy sauce.
One of their main ingredients is bread, so you don’t really need any more carbohydrate, but if you have a healthy appetite you might want some dauphinois potatoes – the meatballs need a little creamy sauce.
Listen to the dark and rich Brahms German Requiem while you make them.
Recipe for Frikadellen – German meatballs
- 300g/10oz beef mince
- 1 banana shallot
- 1 clove garlic
- smoked salt
- 3 tsp paprika
- 1 egg
- 2 slices of stale bread made into breadcrumbs – 4 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 3 outer stems of fennel or 1 stick of celery – finely chopped
- olive oil for frying
Mix all except half the breadcrumbs together
- Roll into meatballs, about 1½ inches/6 cm diameter
- Roll in remaining breadcrumbs
- Fry in olive oil until done, turning frequently, about 15 minutes