- 1lb/500g minced beef
- 1 onion, chopped small
- 3 teaspoons smoked salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 oz/50g Panko breadcrumbs
- Indonesian long pepper
- 2 cups/350g dried, pitted, sour cherries
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 3 cups/600g basmati rice – for more about how to cook basmati rice go here, and for information about why it’s so special go here.
- 1 tbsp flaked almonds
- 2 tbsp chopped pistachios
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 1 cup/200g hummus
- 2 tbsps greek yoghurt
- generous handful of chopped parsley
- make meatballs by mixing together the beef, the onion, 2 teasp smoked salt, the breadcrumbs, and a few grinds of the pepper and one of the crushed cloves of garlic
- mix in the beaten egg
- mould into about 16 flattish meatballs, cover with clingfilm and put in the fridge.
- make the rice in the normal way (or use this method) using 2 tbsp melted butter
- mix the houmous and yoghurt
- mix together the cherries, the almonds, pistachios
- fry the meatballs about five minutes until browned all over, turning frequently
- after about 15 minutes, take out the rice, add the cherries, almonds, and pistachios and pour over the remaining melted butter
- serve the meatballs with the rice, with the parsley sprinkled over, and the houmous sauce.
NB: you can make everything ahead, only cooking the rice and frying the meatballs at the last minute.
2014 © Saucy Dressings
Obviously the music to listen to while you cook this would be by Only Men Aloud.