The secret twist to this recipe is the marmalade. You can make this a few days ahead, keeping it in the fridge with a tuppa. It also freezes well.
It’s good with ham, gammon and sausages.
for four as an accompaniment
- 1 medium red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 4 tbsp good quality, thick balsamic vinegar
- Couple of walnuts of butter
- 5 tbsps marmalade
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- In a large casserole with a lid put a layer of the shredded cabbage a couple of inches deep
- Sprinkle over half the sugar (a dessert spoon) and two tbsp. of the balsamic vinegar
- Dot with butter
- Repeat the process
- Cover and put in the oven.
- Cook for a couple of hours until the cabbage is soft, stirring after an hour to ensure the cabbage is covered with the marmalade glaze
This post is dedicated to Katie Pugh