The mild nuts are still bursting with umami thanks to the high quality soy sauce. The cumin and the Byadgi chilli give an Indian flavour.
Umami mixed and whole nuts – a taste of the east
For about six people with drinks
NB – none of the nuts you use in this recipe should be ready salted.
- 300g/2 cups whole blanched almonds
- 150g/1¼ cups whole macadamia nuts
- 150g/1 cup whole brazil nuts
- 150g/1¼ cups cashews
- 4 tbsps rich, high quality soy sauce – go here to find out more about what to look for in soy sauce
- ¼ tsp Byadgi chilli, or ½tsp bittersweet paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a smallish roasting tray roast the cumin for about five minutes, then take out and put in a pestle and mortar.
- Empty the nuts into the roasting tray and roast for about ten minutes.
- Grind the cumin.
- Put the nuts in a medium sized mixing bowl. Add all the other ingredients, mix well, put the lot back into the roasting tray.
- Put back in the oven for five minutes. Stir.
- Give the nuts another five minutes, then remove, allow to cool, and serve.